Pages

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Understanding RIE Principles: Outdoors


As an educator, I'm always trying to widen my teaching spectrum. I've been familiar with the RIE approach to teaching and learning but not to the extent that Tumbleweed embraces. When I first studied the RIE method in college, I was under the impression that it was geared only towards infants. I recently read a quote off of www.rie.org that stated:

"When allowed to unfold in their own way and in their own time, children discover the best in themselves and in others."
Its not just for infants. 
This quote and philosophy is directly related to any age group.

I wanted to put Magda Gerber's principles to the test and see what I could discover, observe and learn from my new class outside.

  • An environment for the child that is physically safe, cognitively challenging and emotionally nurturing.
 I observed A, L, and C painting on the side of the bin with a paintbrush as they told each other stories of what they were creating. An environment rich in natural materials creates opportunities that are sure to spark the imagination with limited guidance on my part. In this setting the child is the teacher and educator all in one.
  • Time for uninterrupted play.
 I overheard H talking to the dinosaurs one by one saying, "You'll be clean soon, don't worry" as she scrubbed them gently in the water. By letting H have time for herself, I was able to witness her using kind, gentle behavior she had observed from others and used it in practice, which can be beneficial in future interactions with children.

  • Freedom to explore and interact with other children.
By letting E and B explore the bamboo, they created an imaginary world about their hiding place and how they can explore and play in it with each other. This struck up a conversation between the two of them that included sharing, kind language, and being aware of other's feelings.
  • Involvement of the child in all activities to allow the child to become an active participant rather than a passive recipient. 
It would of been easy for E to ask for help up the tree, but I saw him struggle with the thought of trying it for himself or asking for help. Instead, I offered him encouraging words that made him feel more confidant in himself. "I can do this by myself, I don't need help." he replied. Having E becoming an active participant in the outcome of his thoughts about climbing the tree made him realize that doing things for himself was a greater reward in the end.
  • Sensitive observation of the child in order to understand his or her needs.
J was adamant about filling the empty bottle with water at the bin and leaving. At first, I told him that the water objects should be used at the water area, but I could tell he wasn't receptive to this request. I asked him what his plan was for the bottles and he lead me to the wooden wall and expressed how he waned to try and squeeze all the water out the bottle onto the wood. By observing his needs and compromising with J, another opportunity for exploration and learning was created that tested his fine motor skills.
  • Consistency, clearly defined limits and expectations to develop discipline.
E wanted to create a "tsunami wave" while B wanted the boat to be in calmer waters. I suggested to them both to try and think of a solution that would make them both feel like their needs were being met. E picked up a wooden block and started making gentle waves, looking over at B and asking if the waves were "too big or too small." B exclaimed that the waves were perfect, and continued on playing. The defined limits of knowing each other's needs helped B and E come up with a solution that were clear.


Most of what I mentioned above happened in a time frame of one hour in one day. I'm constantly witnessing moments like these throughout the day and am still in shock with the abundance of care and time the children put into these principles without even knowing what they are or even mean. As I continue to learn and adapt to the RIE mode, I make sure to take a lesson from the children I have the privilege to surround myself with everyday;

Sometimes you need to let your mind wander. Adapt to your surroundings with an ease that feels comfortable for you. Experience new opportunities presented to you.

And just play.



No comments:

Post a Comment