Sunday, July 21, 2013
After thinning out the garden today, I felt inspired to create some sort of provocation for cohort 6 which involved the sunflowers and other blooms from the yard. I am constantly on the look out for new ideas of ways to use the parts of our garden as it finishes, from sunflower stalk forts, to leaf and flower crowns and today we made prints with the flowers.
I did the first few, laying a flower on the paper and banging a rock on top. This attracted a lot of attention and one by one everyone approached and gave it a try. Some were most interested in the marks or the sounds the rocks created. Some wanted to just knock everything off the table. Others were drawn to the flower.
The results were beautiful, but I found that the round rocks I chose were a little to uneven to create the flower print I was hoping for. Next time I might try a rolling pin or a flat wooden block for banging. I'm sure everyone will approve of these changes and the resulting noises that will occur!