Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Rice

One of my favorite activities to do with the children upon waking up from nap is exploring the properties of rice.  I have a coffee can full of rice, wheat berries and red lentils that I save for quiet moments when the children are waking up, or looking for a new provocation.

I have found that dumping it out in one of our small boxes, usually used for climbing, then placing on a sheet in the kitchen is the perfect place for the boys.

Today everyone was very excited when I brought out the coffee can.  I added small metal bowls, pitchers and spoons so that we could also get a chance to practice pouring and spooning to our hearts content.

After we had been playing for a while, I noticed SC pouring handfuls of the rice on his legs and sock covered feet.  I invited him to remove his socks and even stick his toes into the rice!  At first this was a great joke to be had by all, but after a while both SC and T were sitting in the box having a true full body experience.

I was worried that they would be blocking the rice for the other children, but when I waited to see what would happen, everyone worked very carefully and considerately in very close quarters.  GH was scooping over and over with the pitchers and spoons right next to SC's thigh.  And movement in and out of the box only caused a bit of rice to go flying, which I had already expected to happen. 

 Soon everyone stood up and drifted on to the next thing, almost in unison  with a sense of contentment from their play with the rice.  I love these quiet moments with the boys, especially with the loud running that happened not too long after when we went outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment