Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Paintbrush Experiment

 Today I set up a provocation outside with jars of watercolor paints on a large sheet of paper.  Since a few of the children have not been interested in painting without tools, I offered one paint brush to each child as they approached.  Some dipped the brushes into the paint jars, swirling the color.  Others went hands first into the jars.  In the end pouring the paint was the most fun.  Everyone was very interested in how it fell onto the paper and spread out into rivers.    At one point the paper was lifted, and the colors began to mix together.  It was a cold and windy Oregon morning, so the wind helped move the paint around on the paper as well.

I don't know for sure if it was the paint brushes being offered which encouraged more children to participate, but today everyone had a part in the interactions with the bright paint.  What I do know is that pouring drew them to the activity, and once the began using the paint they lingered and explored with the paint in their own way.  SC and SW held onto a paint brush the entire time, even though they were only briefly used as painting tools.  So maybe the paintbrush was like a gateway into the medium.   Children who turned away from the tempra paint I had offered previously, with simple designs on the paper, were very attracted to the clear jars and long handled paintbrushes. 


I look forward to see how they will react to my next provocation, which will build upon today's exploration.  I know now that pouring is a doorway which peaks their interest, and I can use that to extend our knowledge of paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment