Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Builders pt. 2

This week, the preschoolers continued to build on the theme of building. While the last two last week's provocations have focused on PVC pipes, this week's favorite material has been a surprise hit:
A puzzle!


I was sorting through our materials last Thursday morning and two puzzles immediately caught my attention. I chose this one because many of the preschoolers have been playing construction worker and our outside play has centered around building houses. The other puzzle was full of animals. I thought the animal puzzle might catch interest because we have been reading a farm animals book and imitating animal sounds and movements. However, the animal puzzle went untouched. This puzzle, however, has been used in more creative ways than I thought imaginable!

The first morning it was laid out T was interested in using the puzzle pieces to operate on other students, "I'm going to screw in your eyeball." Other children modeled this play. A fair amount of negotiation occurred as each child used and switched his/her tool. However, soon we moved outside and the puzzle remained in the classroom.

On Monday, I set the puzzle out once again. G and KO immediately went for the puzzle during morning play and KO began to drag the drill across the floor, "I'm putting electricity in."
"Where are you putting it?" I asked.
"In the floor!"
"Hey guys," I called to the other preschoolers, "KO is creating electricity." At this point, the other preschoolers joined in.

Teamwork skills developed as KO handed out tools to each interested preschooler and they formed a plan. G grabbed a classroom stick. "What tool is that?" I asked. "A drill!" he replied as he tapped the ground. The preschoolers then decided to use the roads on our rug as pathways for the electricity "wires."

I went over the the light and switched it off. KO observed"The electricity is out!" The preschoolers then continued to employ the puzzle tools to turn the electricity back on. After they spent some time drilling, hammering and measuring, E exclaimed, "It's ready," and I turned the lights back on. IR shouted, "It works!"

Now, I am interested in the possibility of taking an object apart and putting it back together. Perhaps an old typewriter, or some bike parts. It might have to wait until after the move but for now we have plenty of building activities going. Here are some provocations from the past week:


Building station


Block tower



I wonder, where will our building take us next?

No comments:

Post a Comment