Friday, August 26, 2016

"Big Feelings" Game

Cohort 10 is approaching Toddlerhood and with that comes a lot of big feelings.  Frustration. Overwhelming emotions. The rules of possession:
Toddlerhood is my favorite age group to work with.  Yes, it can be hard and sometimes they drive me crazy but they melt my heart all at the same time and you can’t really get that anywhere else.
 
Last week they made a game of their big feelings of frustration with the steps in our room. EM and LC were sitting on the steps closes to the wall and putting their legs under the other step then yelling in frustration because they were feeling stuck!
 I calmly let them know they can turn their bodies and slide their legs out; and when they did so it was a celebration- With big smiles and hands in the air!
   
With all this big noise happening FK came over and was expressing his big feelings of curiosity and wanting to be near the “action.”


This game went on for a good portion of that morning and was even repeated the next day. What simple joys children find in something us adults might miss.  I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.

1 comment:

  1. Toddlerhood is my favourite kids’ phase too. Just one look at them makes you forget everything you don’t like about their behavior. I appreciate this post because some parents, and teachers especially, sometimes need help with managing their little kids’ behavior, let alone make them do something, study something or teach something to them. But the author here made it seem so simple and dun to work with these kids. The post is so well organized and planned that I have thought of offering her to write my essay online and let other people know about her talents.

    ReplyDelete